Sunday, April 20, 2008

Finally! a funny signing story of my own

I have followed a great book that has guided me through teaching Luke signing ("Sign Language for Hearing Babies" by Karyn Warburton). When I read this book I really enjoy the cute letters found throughout the book that families have written to the author about memorable or significant experiences they have had with their toddler communicating through sign language. I always looked forward to a memorable story of my own when my toddler would communicate with me through sign language in an instance when communication might not otherwise have been possible... or at least not as memorable!
Finally my day arrived!
It was a lazy day yesterday around the Cuti house. Dave had been on call all week and through the weekend and we were all tired from our nights of interrupted sleep by the phone that seemed to ring the second his head hit the pillow. The night before he was called out at 12:30, then when he got home at 2:30 his phone rang again just as we were all settling back in to sleep, and of course again at 5am the phone once again roused us from sleep. I was laying on the couch yesterday morning while the baby played on the living room floor with his toys. He came over to me and started to sign "animal". This used to be the sign he used for "dog" but he has been using this sign for any kind of animal and changed his "dog" sign to be the "animal" sign while also panting or barking like a dog. (side brag note: he progressed all this on his own... pretty impresive for a 15 month old in my opinion!) So back to the story... Luke is looking at me laying on the couch and while gazing at my shirt (or the back of the couch... I couldn't figure which) he was signing "animal". I was very tired and kind of ignored him at first. I asked him where the animal was? and simultaneously thinking in my head if I had worn a shirt with an animal's picture on it. I finally gave in and looked down at my shirt and wouldn't you know there was a beetle perched near the shoulder of my shirt! Of course my natural reaction was to jump up and flick the beetle of my shirt. Then I just had to laugh because this is what Luke was trying to tell me! He walked over to where I had flicked the beetle and signed "animal" a few more times. I quickly tried to think of a sign for "bug" and did this with him a few times for picking up the beetle and putting him back outside. I guess next time I will pay closer attention when Luke is trying to "tell" me something! ;)

No comments: