Monday, April 21, 2008

Luke's new swim diapers

As I have already blogged about a few times now we have been using cloth diapers rather than disposables. So now that summertime has rolled around it seems only natural to also use reusable diapers for Luke to play in the water rather than disposable swim diapers.

Last summer even before I had considered cloth diapering I knew I wanted a better solution to the heavy and hard to get on disposable swim diapers we were using. They seemed so uncomfortable and held so much water I would have to take the diaper off every time he came out of the water so he wasn't sitting in all that wetness and then put another one on when it was time to go back in the water. Way too much trouble in my opinion. I know a lot of people use these disposable swim diapers and most just keep their babies in them the whole time and all I could think about is diaper rash! from sitting in such a wet diaper!!

Now that I have been formally introduced to the world (and ease) of cloth diapering I realized they also make reusable diapers for swimming. I was a little skeptical about this also because in my mind they would hold water and then I would have the same problem I did with disposables. But when we went to Luke's 15 month check up at Dr. Punger's and we got our first Swimmies swim diaper I was very pleased to see that it was more of a cover. I was excited to try it out!

So we went for a swim at my folks house and gave them a go. They work GREAT!! They don't have a whole bunch of absorbent liners but who needs that? When the kids are swimming around and getting wet why do you need these layers anyway? We can all admit we have pee'd in the pool at least once and it didn't hurt anyone.

Luke really put these diapers to the test when he pooped while we were swimming and this diaper contained the poop way better than a disposable which gets saggy and falls away from his legs once heavy with water. I just treated the diaper like I would any other cloth... held it over the toilet to get rid of any solid poo and then I rinsed it in the sink and let it hang until time for laundry. It is super easy.



Luke liked it so much he gave one to his friend Caleb for his first birthday. Caleb also likes to be earth-friendly with his diapers.



These diapers are very inexpensive and very useful especially for those of you who do lots of water activities like we do in the summer. You can order through twofloridadocs.com or stop by Dr. Pungers office in Fort Pierce and pick one up.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

He looks really cute in that swim diaper! Ruby's diaper is on order from Dr. Punger and should be arriving any day now. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Jen,
I didn't even know you came by for them. I asked Dino and she told me she delivered them to your house. Can't beat home delivery, you live in a perfect location sandwiched between my house and office managers.

The photos are great. Thanks for all the first hand info.

In case your readers are looking for it on my website store, I haven't gotten around to adding it, but your readers know how to find me. :)

Maybe after I get my order in, I'll get it on the store.

I'm going to link to your post then also.

Have fun swimming!