Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Locked Out!

Well I learned the hard way today that Luke is able to lock the handle on the door leading out to the garage.
He was pretty focused on his building blocks so I thought I would sneak out to the garage for a minute to hang his diapers to dry. He noticed I snuck out just about immediately because I heard him knocking on the door and calling my name before I got the first diaper out of the washing machine.
I was on the phone with Dave and I asked him to talk to Luke to keep him occupied for a few minutes while I got this done. Luke LOVE LOVE LOVES to talk on the phone; especially to his Dada.
BUT when I went to open the door to go back inside and hand over the phone it was locked!!! I couldn't believe it he had locked me out. He was on the other side of the door trying to open it and getting pretty frustrated that I was outside and he wasn't but he didn't realize he had locked the door and had to turn the button back the other way so we could be reunited.
I opened the garage door and walked around to the front door. Just so you have a visual when you walk in the front door to the house the door leading to the garage is immediately behind it to the left. In fact, you have to close the front door in order to open the door to the garage. Also our front door is mostly glass and this was the only time I appreciated this feature because i was able to look and and keep checking on Luke as I tried to pick the door in the garage open.
Now it didn't occur to me what I would have done had I not been on the phone and had my phone out in the garage with me. Luckily this was the case and as soon as I told Dave what was going on he made arrangements to head home and unlock the door. In fact, he was ready to go lights and sirens because of course he is picturing Luke locked in the house and in a life threatening situation (he is very paranoid - did I ever mention he is still convinced Luke is still at risk for SIDS!?! gotta love him).
In the meantime he called our friend who is also a FPPO and happens to live right down the street to come down and try to help me sooner.
So about five minutes later Woody arrives and in less than two seconds he is able to pop the lock (or whatever he did) with his knife. WHOO HOO our hero!
I don't know what i would have done without a phone! So as soon as Dave gets home tonight we are going to figure out a way to get back in the house in the event we ever get locked out again. In the meantime I am still laughing that I got locked out of the house by my 1 year old!

No comments: